Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Good Food for Better Times Stew


Someday, perhaps I will develop a little bit of follow-through.
My inability to finish things I start is a huge downfall. Anyway, I suppose I should just keep trying, so here we are again.

My life has changed so much since I was last on this little blog, that I can't even really believe it. I live in St. Louis now, which is a huge foodie city, and completely awesome, and, although I cook more, I like it less, because it's such a necessity now that I live on my own and am flat broke. That's no excuse though! So, as I prepare to ring in the new year, I will also try to update this more. No resolutions, just an honest attempt.

Now that winter is finally starting to show it's ugly face, I want to cook more and more. My crock pot is my best friend, and I buy so many potatoes it should probably be illegal.

Beef stew is the ultimate peasant food: warm, cheap, versatile and a little goes a long ways. So, although I feel ridiculous typing up a recipe for it, I did, because Beef Stew is one of those things that makes you feel like everything is probably going to be alright. The ultimate comfort food.
Lately it seems like everybody is so worried about money, and jobs, and success, and happiness. Sometimes its good to remind yourself that things can be simple, and still be wonderful.
As good 'ol Thoreau said:
"However mean your life is, meet it and live it: do not shun it and call it hard names. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Things to do not change, we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts."
To paraphrase: don't trouble yourself about expensive food, make some delicious stew. Stew doesn't change, we change.



*this recipe is for a slow cooker, If you don't have one, you can make it in a stock pot in probably an hour.
**I cannot stress enough that this recipe is completely versatile. Add more, add less, add something else (try barley, instead of potatoes). It will probably be delicious.
***Pictures to come. I feel like I wait to upload pictures, and never publish posts. No more! Imagine it ;)

Better Times Beef Stew

Ingredients:
2-3 large carrots, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
4ish potatoes, chopped
Several pounds of stew meat (whatever you can find)
Beef broth
The cheapest dry red wine you can find
Flour
Salt

Equipment:
Crock pot
Skillet to brown meat in

Add carrots, celery, onion and potatoes to crock pot.

Coat beef in a little all purpose flour and some salt, meanwhile, heat 1-2 Tbsp oil or butter in a large skillet.
Add the beef until browned (does not need to cook through).

Remove meat from the skillet and add to the crock pot. Pour 1/2 C red wine into the pan the meat browned in, to deglaze, this should make sort of a "wine gravy."

Pour beef broth (or beef broth and water, or water with boullion cubes...) into crock pot with the other ingredients, until just covered. Add Sea Salt (or regular, if you must), I can't say how much. Let's say 2 tsp to start.

Cook on low for 12 hours or high for 6. ish.

Serve warm, preferably with some toasty fresh bread.



Add carrots, onion, celery, potatoes to the crock pot as well, as season with salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment